How did travel look like without mobile phones and the likes of Google, Facebook, Instagram etc. Where would a less globalised world take a wild, young, impulsive soul?
Paul Bradbury, the Founder of Total Croatia News reflects on past 30 years of travel, dating back to 1989. From waking up to being strapped on hospital beds to surviving a plane crash landing, and becoming a rain god, be prepared for some crazy travel stories. We talk about the similarities and differences between travel now and 30 years ago. What are elements that have mapped across time and what are some that are perhaps lost forever.
In this episode, we rethink what “Travel” actually means and go back to the age old question – “Are we more or less connected with technology?” We also look at how travel is ultimately a personal experience, and what transitioned Paul from the hectic life of hoping around the world to putting a real focus on just Croatia.
- 00:39: Introduction
- 06:15: When postcards and travelers checks were the main mediums for travelers
- 10:00: The first taste of travel in South America
- 15:55: Youth, ambition and ignorance marked a crazy journey to Munich
- 18:15: Of drunk memories and helpful strangers
- 22:33: The runaway wife and the beginning of a new life
- 25:49: The lost elements of travel and platform evolutions in info sharing
- 31:00: Gathering of stories among plane crashes and hiking with Lebanese nuns
- 35:12: Perspective changes from seeing the life and pain of others.
- 38:30: Becoming an urban legend in Somalia
- 41:29: Spontaneity in travel and ghosts of the past. A journey of healing and rediscovery
- 44:29: The impact of technology on human, emotional connections and memory on a subconcious level
- 48:16: Elements of “travel” that are harder to get now because of external factors
- 52:10: The modern techie vs the adventurous oldie
- 54:05: Trial and error and the “bad” experience are part of what makes “travel” exciting
- 56:15: Lack of info vs info overload
- 59:40: Travel is personal and more about emotions than places
- 1:01:40: From traveling to stability: Diving deep into one place
- 1:04:07: It’s not about travel, its about the freedom
FOLLOW MORE PODCAST EPISODES HERE:
FIND PAUL BRADBURY HERE: