The first of a special series looking into the brilliant minds behind Croatia’s push into the digital nomad scene.
Kick-starting with power duo, Michael Freer, Director of Digital Nomad Association (DNA) Croatia and Tanja Polegubic, Founder of Saltwater Nomads. We talk about how Croatia’s direction for tourism and remote workers has evolved over the last 2 years.
2021 has ended on high with DNA Croatia approaching more cities across the country for collaborations and Saltwater Nomads winning multiple international awards with projects in Zagreb and Dubrovnik. We take a deeper look into country vs city level considerations when pushing new initiatives for digital nomads and remote workers – What kind of customisations are needed and how to convince governments to look at remote workers as potential solutions to elevate certain problems.
In this conversation, we look at the essential components when a city wants to make itself attractive for digital nomads, the challenges behind building a community and how having one matters in creating an enticing environment for mid to long term stay.
- 0:00: Preview
- 0:35: Introduction
- 08:30: What’s most attractive about Croatia?
- 10:20: Ambitious project of pushing Croatia as whole digital nomad destination
- 15:15: Can Digital Nomads be a solution for local challenges?
- 19:20: Customization and tailoring initiatives for cities
- 22:55: Was the pandemic a turning point?
- 27:00: Biggest challenge in building a digital nomad community in Croatia
- 31:10: How to overcome bureaucracy for digital nomad initiatives
- 39:00: Dubrovnik – Can a tourist hot spot become a digital nomad hub?
- 46:05: Community as a core pillar stone for digital nomads
- 47:10: Looking into 2022
FOLLOW MORE PODCAST EPISODES HERE:
FIND DNA CROATIA & SALTWATER NOMADS HERE: